Videocall is a telephone with a video screen and able to capture video or picture as well as with sound. Videocall can used as communication tool between one person and another in real time. Nowadays, videocall is very useful for deaf and mute people, because by videocall, communication can be done using gesture language through the video service. Videocall is useful for people who are in other place who have a far distance and want to communicate with people who are in other places who have a far distance too. Videocall can be used as a tool that can transfer images and sound in the form of video so that it looks like real.
Initially, video calls use a computer device that combined with a telephone cable, so long-distance communication was done using a lot of devices and not flexibel. And then, these devices are then simplified more little and more practical. Right now, we only need a webcam, monitor, speakers, microphone, which today is integrated in one gadget, its name laptop.
Components who are needed to build communication through video calls consist of the internet and applications with user. In the application layer and the, cameras and microphones are available as image and sound input devices. This input will be transmitted by the internet with previously coded to be binary bits that can be passed on the network and will be set with the standard protocol used.
Communication via the internet need applications that can facilitate users with computers, such as web browsers, or applications that provide video calling features, such as WhatsApp, Line, Skype and others. These applications can be downloaded for free or paid on the internet. Now, humans use mobile phones in their activities. This cause all forms of communication have switch to cellular communication which cause communication or access to information can be done whenever and wherever other people. Of course, this is accompanied by the development of wireless technology that is more flexible, easily built and configured. Cellular technology which is part of wireless technology has been added from voice, data transmission and video. Video calls via cell phones are often confused with 3G. 3G is an abbreviation of the term in English: third generation technology. This term is used generally for the development of wireless telephone technology (wireless). 3G is facilitated by mobile phone providers. So that callers and recipients can face each other face to face.
Technology developments that support video calls include the type of connection, there are:
- ISDN connection with ITU H.320 standard; requires a high speed connection with fiber optic cable, video images up to 25 fps (frames per second). ISDN videophone or video calls are manufactured by Tandberg, Sony and Polycom company.
- Through IP (Internet Protocol) with ITU H.323 standard; Requires a high speed internet connection. Video images can be up to 25 fps with an internet connection of at least 256 kbs. This type devices are manufactured by Tandberg, Sony and Polycom company.
- PSTN with ITU H.324 standard; with a regular PSTN (Public Switch Telephone System) telephone cable connection. 15 fps video images with 33.6 kbs connection. This is produced by Vialta with the Beamer brand which is distributed in Indonesia by PT HGW.
Another requirement that needs to be considered in communicating via video calls is bandwidth or data transmission speed. If the Bandwith have small provided for communication, and then the data transfer speed and ongoing video image quality is also poor. The newer MPEG-4 video and audio compression format can provide high video quality at 2 bps, on cable modems and MADSL.
Video calls in the 20th century were limited to the H.323 protocol (except for Cisco SCCP), but the new video calls often use SIP, which is often easier to manage at home networks. H.323 is still used, but more often for videoconferencing, while SIP is more often used for personal use.
Benefit of Videocall
With the existence of video call technology that causes everyone to communicate face to face. Now, the benefit of video calls is not only for personal use. Various things can be supported by video calls as a real-time communication tool that is very helpful.
- Business: With video calls, person in far away and want to meetings face-to-face can use video conferencing, a kind of video call but on a larger scale.
- Health and medicine: With video calls, remote medical treatment can be carried out. This is usually done in areas that require less maintenance, so that it is needed to be more sophisticated and professional for this cases. By conducting communication with face to face ways, patients can see directly and real time about the disease.
- Education: With video call technology, students or teachers can discuss, doing some experiment and explore without space or time.
- Politics: Video call technology can help politicians in negotiating, and discussing
- Defense: With video call technology, it can make it easier for soldiers to get information such as strategy, facilitating territorial defense, confidential data, and others in defending the country.
- Friendship: With the technology of video call, the users can easily see the situation of the other users who are contact, so it’s make their friendship more strong.
From the description above, Video calls came up with the name videophone which is a continuation of the development of cable telephone technology that is integrated with sending data in the form of images. And then, video calls can now used over IP or internet or 3G networks, which are advances in wireless technology. Devices that can be used to build video calls can consist of two categories. For video calls with the internet, there are need audio input, audio output, video input, video output, and application interfaces for devices and devices must connected to the internet. And then, for video calls with the use of 3G technology, cell phones that support UMTS and there are equipped with cameras can be used to establish communication via video calls. The use of video calls today is not only for personal interests, business interests, health, education, politics, defense, but video call can used for friendship to support real time communication.
Untoro, Joko. 2012. Teknologi Video Call.
https://anjaruntoro.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/teknologi-video-call/. (10 Oktober 2010).