Hi citizens, entering 2019 there is already news about the 5G network that will be present in Indonesia. The plan is that the 5G network will be released in 2020. How far do you know about the 5G network? on this occasion I will re- view in advance how the development of data networks from 1G-5G.
As we know 1G-5G ‘G’ which means ‘generation’ while numbers 1 to 5 are numbers of technological improvements over time.
- 1 Generation
1G network was first discovered in 1980 . This is the first generation used on classic cellphones – “brick phones” and “bag phones” – before the advent of smartphones. because this is a first generation cellphone , the 1G network was made very seriously and made a strong and reliable cellphone to spread throughout the world. On the 1G network using an analog system that can only make telephone calls . Which includes 1G technology, namely:
- AMPS (Advanced Mobile Phone Service) or IS-136
- NMT (Nordic Mobile Telephony)
- C 450
1G technology capability:
The ability of 1 G technology can only serve voice communication , can not serve data communication in high speed and large. The 1G network is obtained from radio signals transmitted analogue. 1G speed is only 2.4kbps.
1G technology weaknesses:
Because it can only serve communication 1G technology other than that the speed is also still limited so that the sound produced is not clear.
2. 2 Generation
2G appeared in the early 90s. We can be sure the 2G network is more developed than the previous 1G network. As the sound produced is clearer. GSM appears first in Europe while America relies on their first D-AMPS and Quallcomm CDMA. Both of these systems (GSM and CDMA) represent the second generation (2G ) from wireless network technology.
2G technology capability:
In this second generation it is used for voice communication, besides that on the 2G network it is already possible for SMS (Short Message Service) to send short messages of 160 characters , voice mail, call waiting, and data transfer with a maximum speed capability of 9,600 bps ( bits per second). With that much speed 2G network is enough to send SMS, download images, or install MIDI ringtones. The advantages of 2G networks are that the resulting sound is clearer, before the sound was sent in digital form. Then the analog-based signal is changed first to the digital signal. This change enables the repair of sound signal damage due to noise interference or other frequency interference. The power needed for the signal is small so that it can save battery life, so the handset can be used longer and the battery size can be smaller.
Weaknesses of 2G technology:
Data transfer speeds are still low. Inefficient for low traffic. Network coverage is still limited and highly dependent on the presence of BTS (cell tower).
3. 3 generation
3G is the evolution of GPRS technology. 3G network speeds are capable of up to (384 kbps – 2Mbps).
3G technology capabilities:
Having the ability to kecepa ta n (38 4kbps-2Mbps) third generation is not only sound, video, images. Internet, multimedia TV and even video conferencing and video streaming can already be enjoyed with 3G technology.
The advantages of 3G from previous generations:
- Better sound quality.
- Guaranteed security.
- Data speeds reaching 2 Mbps for local / Indoor / slow-moving access and 384 kbps for wide area access.
- Supports multiple connections simultaneously, for example, users can browse the internet together by making calls to different destinations.
- Shared infrastructure can support multiple operators in the same location. Interconnection to other mobile and fixed users.
- National and international roaming.
- The new billing mechanism depends on the volume of data, service quality and time3.
4. 3, 5 Generation
This 3.5G technology allows users to download a variety of multimedia offerings, such as video streaming, music streaming, mobile TV, online games, movie footage, animation, video clips, games, sports video clips, financial news, playing a collection of songs in full, and download karaoke at high speed. All can be done while still making a video call without interrupting the data transfer process.
5. 4 Generation
4G is a continued development of 1G, 2G, 3G and 3.5G. This development is very rapid, it is clear from the speed that the 4G network has reached 500 times faster than CDMA2000 can provide speeds of up to 1Gbps if you are at home or 100Mbps when you travel. And in a short time of course. For an example of how fast 4G technology is to download films with a capacity of 6GB, it only takes 6 minutes.
Advantages of 4G LTE Technology :
- Speed up to 300 Mbps downlink and 75 Mbps uplink
- LTE uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Mutiplexing (OFDM) which transmits data through many radio spectrum operators, each of which is 180 kHz
- Supports the frequency waves currently used by the IMT and ITU- R systems
- Supports MBSFN (Multicast Broadcast Single Frequency Network)
- Increased high mobility support
- Speed supports for video steaming
Lack of 4G LTE Technology :
- The cost for new network infrastructure is relatively expensive
- The network must be renewed so new equipment must be installed
- As a result, if there is a network renewal, users need to buy a new mobile device in order to enjoy a network that supports LTE technology
5. 5 Generation
Until the fifth generation which will be released in 2020. It is known that 5G network has advantages compared to 4G in terms of faster data transactions. In addition, this generation is also claimed to be more power efficient compared to previous generations . The existence of 5G is also predicted to affect the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT). This fifth generation is still being developed. Even in developed countries like the United States, Japan, China and South Korea, they are still developing this generation.
5G has high internet speeds smoothly, even though they are on a train that speeds up to 500 kilometers per hour. In addition, with the 5G Internet Network Technology , users are able to download 800 MB of movies in just one second. While the 4G network takes about 40 seconds to do the same thing.