A computer is a set of tools used to input, process, and output a data or information, besides that a computer is also used to assist human work in sending, processing, and receiving data. In general, people often think of computers as laptops or desktops. Yet when we talk about computers, there are many types of computers.Well on this occasion we will describe the type of computer based on function and size.
A. Computer Classification based on size
Microcomputer is a computer that uses the microprocessor as its main CPU. This device can only be used by one person per computer. For the size of this computer can be said to be small, because it is easily carried away, and enough if placed on the table. micro computer has the following characteristics:
- easy to find
- Called a Personal Computer (PC)
- The Price is relatively cheap
- has a small size
Minicomputer is known as mini. It is a class of small computers that was introduced into the world in the mid-1960s. A minicomputer lies between the mainframe and the microcomputer.
Minicomputers are mainly multi-users systems where more than one user can work simultaneously, Minicomputer can also support multi-users at a time or you can say that minicomputer is a multiprocessing system. Mini computer has the following characteristics:
- Size is smaller than a mainframe or supercomputer.
- It is less expensive than mainframe or supercomputer.
- It is less powerful than mainframe or supercomputer and more powerful than microcomputers and workstations.
- It can do several tasks at once.
- It can be used by many people at one time.
- It is used by small enterprises.
Mainframes are computers that consist of several computers that are capable of performing many complex computing tasks in a very short period of time. Mainframes are generally widely used by users who are connected directly using the terminal. Mainframe computer has the following characteristics:
- Processors that have more than one, so that the speed of the process is much faster than a mini computer
- The mainframe’s work speed reaches 1 billion operations per second
- Being able to access in one computer at the same time, which is known as timesharing.
A supercomputer is a computer that performs at or near the currently highest operational rate for computers. A supercomputer is a computer that performs at or near the currently highest operational rate for computers. Supercomputers conjure up the image of those massive, hulking, overheating machines that were the world’s introduction to computing the ones that took up huge amounts of space to spit out computation after computation. Super computer has the following characteristics:
- Has a very large size
- Very expensive price
- Has hundreds of processors
- Has a very high speed
- Requires enormous energy
B. Computer Classification Based on Function
Computers are designed for different purposes or functions. Therefore, computers have several types which are classified according to function. The types of computers based on their functions are divided into 4 (four) computers including Embedded Systems, Information Appliance (IA), Workstations and Servers. To find out more about the four types of computers and their functions, here are the classifications.
- Embedded Systems
Embedded systems are computer systems specifically designed for specific purposes in order to improve the function of a machine. As the meaning implies, “embedded” which means “matching”, the matched part includes hardware and other mechanical parts. This is contrary to the general system as we know it can be a Personal Computer (PC) that can run many commands at once depending on the programming.
This embedded system is dedicated to specific commands, such as design to optimize machines, reduce product size and cost, or improve work performance. An embedded system is a system with the following characteristics:
- have computing power. In other words equipped with a processor
- Work in an outdoor IT environment. most likely not equipped with air conditioning and facing outside interference such as vibration and dust.
- Have a specific task. Unlike the PC or server, which is relatively more complex.
Embedded systems are usually used for various applications, for example:
- Factory Control.
- Transaction computer on Toll Road.
- Telemetry in remote places such as water level observers at a dam.
- Smart Electronic equipment installed in the car.
workstation is a computer intended for individual use that is faster and more capable than a personal computer. It’s intended for business or professional use (rather than home or recreational use). Workstations and applications designed for them are used by small engineering companies, architects, graphic designers, and any organization, department, or individual that requires a faster microprocessor, a large amount of Random acces Memory (RAM), and special features such as high-speed graphics adapters.
A workstation, at a minimum has a network card, network software, a cable to connect it to the network. Usually workstations do not really need a hard disk because the data needed can be stored on the server. Almost all types of computers can be used as workstation computers. The workstation has several very important functions, such as:
- help the user’s work
- speed up user work
- as computer network hardware
- scientific and technical calculations
- help with specific tasks
Computer Server is a computer unit that functions to store information and to manage a computer network. Server computer will serve all clients or workstations that are connected to the network. Based on these functions it can be said that the Server Computer is a Parent Computer. Server computers have several very important functions, including:
- Have the responsibility to serve client computer requests and manage data traffic.
- Provides resources to be used together in the form of hardware or applications.
- Can be useful for storing files or data that can be accessed together between server computers to client computers using file sharing.
- Serves to set level permissions on a network so that not all client computers can access all data stored by the server computer.
- Provides databases and applications that can run on all computers.
- Protect client computers from malware attacks by installing a firewall or antimalware on the server computer.